Tuesday, August 30, 2016
Roll No. ......................
Total No. of Questions : 09
B. Tech. (Sem. – 3rd)
MECHANICS OF MATERIALS
SUBJECT CODE : BTAE-301
Paper ID : [A1112]
Time : 03 Hours
Instruction to Candidates:
1. SECTION-A is COMPULSORY consisting of TEN questions carrying
TWO marks each.
2. SECTION-B contains FIVE questions carrying FIVE marks each and
students has to attempt any FOUR questions.
3. SECTION-C contains THREE questions carrying TEN marks each and
students has to attempt any TWO questions.
a. What is maximum shear stress theory?
b. What do you mean by longitudinal stress in a thin cylinder?
c. What do you mean by ‘simple bending’ or ‘pure bending’?
d. Draw stress-strain diagram for ductile materials?
e. What is ‘equivalent length of a column?
f. What do you mean by Lame’s equations?
g. What do you mean by Section Modulus?
h. What are different types of loads?
i. Define total strain energy theory?
j. What are limitations of Euler’s formula for columns and struts?
2. Prove that the bending stresses in any fibre are proportional to the distance of that fibre form neutral layer in a beam.
3. A steel rod of 20mm diameter passes centrally through a copper tube of 50mm external diameter and 40mm internal diameter. The tube is closed at each end by rigid plates of negligible thickness. The nuts are tightened lightly home on the projecting parts of the rod. If the temperature of the assembly of the assembly is raised by 50 °C , calculate the stresses.
Developed in copper and steel. Take E for steel and copper as 200GN/m2 and 100 GN/m2 and a-for steel and copper as 12x 10-6 per °C 18x 10-6 per °C
4. Derive an expression for the slope and deflection of a cantilever of length L, carrying a point load W at the free end by double integration method.
5. What is equivalent length of a column? What are the important end conditions for a column? Explain them
6. Derive the bending equation? Also state assumptions made of derivation of bending equation?
7. Derive the relation for a circular shaft when subjected to torsion.
8. Calculate the safe compressive load on a hollow cast iron column (one end rigidly fixed and other hinged) of 15 cm external diameter, 10 cm internal diameter and 10 cm in length. Use Euler’s formula with a factor of safety of 5 and E=95KN/mm2.
9. A beam of square section is used as a beam with one diagonal horizontal. The beam is subjected to a shear force F, at a section. Find the maximum shear in the cross-section of the beam and draw the shear distributions diagram for the section.
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No......................... ... Total No. of Questions : 07] ...
Roll No……….. Total No. of Questions: 07 B.Com. (Sem.-1 st ) FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING Subject Code: BCOP-101 Paper ID: [B1101] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Click Here for Syllabus of B-Tech 1st Year . http://ptu.ac.in/userfiles/file/engg_syllab/1st_and_...
Business Organisation and Management, Question Paper of B.Com 1st Semester,Download Previous Years Question Paper 2Roll No…….. Total No. of Questions: 07 B.Com (Sem.-1 st ) BUSINESS ORGANIATION AND MANAGEMENT Subject Code: BCOP-102 (2011 &a...
Roll No……. Total No. of Questions:07 B.COM (Sem.-1 st ) BUSINESS MATHEMATICS SUBJECT CODE: BCOP-104 (2011 Batch) PAPER ID: ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No. ...................... Total No. of Questions : 13] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Master Of Technology (M-Tech) Syllabus SYLLABUS FOR MASTER OF TECHNOLOGY (M-Tech) Br...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Click Downlink for Dowload of Scheme and Syllabus of B.Com. Professional Batch 2011onwards ht...
B.Sc. IT (402) (S05) / 102 (New) (Sem. - 4th) BASIC MATHEMATICS – I, Punjab Technical University, PTU, Question paperpunjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No. ................. Total No. of Questions : 13] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No . ............ Total No. of Questions : 07) ...