Monday, August 29, 2016
Roll No. ......................
Total No. of Questions : 09]
B. Tech. (Sem. – 3rd)
MECHANICS OF MATERIALS
SUBJECT CODE : BTAE-301
Paper ID : [A1112]
Time : 03 Hours
Instruction to Candidates:
1. SECTION-A is COMPULSORY consisting of TEN questions carrying
TWO marks each.
2. SECTION-B contains FIVE questions carrying FIVE marks each and
students has to attempt any FOUR questions.
3. SECTION-C contains THREE questions carrying TEN marks each and
students has to attempt any TWO questions.
1. Write briefly :
a. Explain the difference between stress and strength.
b. Name four ductile materials.
c. What is the difference between Yield Strength and Ultimate Strength?
d. Define S.F. and B.M.
e. What is the expected nature of S.F. and B.M. at point of contra flexure?
f. What are the assumptions of Simple Bending Theory?
g. What is the difference between section modulus and moment of inertia?
h. What are assumptions of Rankin-Gordon formula?
i. What is meant by Modulus of Rupture?
j. What is meant by Hoop Stress?
2. Derive the formula for stress, strain and deflection in a bar of varying
cross-section and uniform strength.
3. Explain the method of construction of B.M. and S.F. diagrams by use of
4. Show the application of bending formula to a composite beam made up
of two different materials.
5. Explain the concept of complimentary shearing stresses in shafts under
6. Apply following theories of failure to thin cylinders :
Principle stress theory, Principle strain theory, maximum shear stress
theory, strain energy theory and distortion energy theory.
7. Following figure shows the stress condition at a point. Find the normal,
shear and resultant stresses and the direction of resultant stress for the
plane inclined at 30° as shown in figure.
8. A hollow steel shaft 8 cm outside diameter is coupled to a solid phosphor bronze shaft of 8 cm diameter. Neglecting the effect of coupling, find the suitable internal diameter of the steel shaft, if a torque is to be applied to the compound shaft to develop a maximum shear stress of 40 MaPa in the bronze shaft and a maximum shear stress of 72 MPa in the steel shaft. Angle of twist in the steel shaft is not to exceed 1°. Length of steel shaft is 1 m and of bronze shaft is 1.2 m. Also find the total angle of twist for whole of the shaft. Take Gsteel = 80 GPa and Gbronze = 40 GPa.
9. Find the critical load for a standard rolled steel angle 50 × 50 × 6
(ISA 5050) column 2m long having area of angle as 5.68 cm 2 , minimum
radius of gyration as 0.96 cm, E = 210 GPa and proportional limit stress
in simple compression = 210 MPa for following conditions :
(i) the column has rounded ends
(ii) both ends are fixed
(iii) one end is fixed and the other hinged
(iv) one end is fixed and the other is free
Roll No……….. Total No. of Questions: 07 B.Com. (Sem.-1 st ) FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING Subject Code: BCOP-101 Paper ID: [B1101] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No......................... ... Total No. of Questions : 07] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Click Here for Syllabus of B-Tech 1st Year . http://ptu.ac.in/userfiles/file/engg_syllab/1st_and_...
Business Organisation and Management, Question Paper of B.Com 1st Semester,Download Previous Years Question Paper 2Roll No…….. Total No. of Questions: 07 B.Com (Sem.-1 st ) BUSINESS ORGANIATION AND MANAGEMENT Subject Code: BCOP-102 (2011 &a...
Roll No……. Total No. of Questions:07 B.COM (Sem.-1 st ) BUSINESS MATHEMATICS SUBJECT CODE: BCOP-104 (2011 Batch) PAPER ID: ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No. ...................... Total No. of Questions : 13] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Master Of Technology (M-Tech) Syllabus SYLLABUS FOR MASTER OF TECHNOLOGY (M-Tech) Br...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Click Downlink for Dowload of Scheme and Syllabus of B.Com. Professional Batch 2011onwards ht...
B.Sc. IT (402) (S05) / 102 (New) (Sem. - 4th) BASIC MATHEMATICS – I, Punjab Technical University, PTU, Question paperpunjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No. ................. Total No. of Questions : 13] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No . ............ Total No. of Questions : 07) ...