Tuesday, August 30, 2016
Roll No. ......................
Total No. of Questions : 09]
B. Tech. (Sem. – 3rd)
MECHANICS OF MATERIALS
SUBJECT CODE : BTAE-301
Paper ID : [A1112]
Time : 03 Hours
Instruction to Candidates:
1) Section - A is Compulsory.
2) Attempt any Four questions from Section - B.
3) Attempt any Two questions from Section - C.
Section - A
a. What do you mean by longitudinal strain and lateral strain?
b. Define point of Contra flexure.
c. Calculate the ration of maximum shear streets and average shear stress in rectangular section beam
d. What do you understand by Mohr’s stress circle?
e. The young’s modulus of elasticity of a material is 2.5 times its modulus of rigidity. Calculate the passion’s ratio of material.
f. What do you mean by section Modulus of a shaft?
g. Differentiate between Colum and Strut. Give examples.
h. What do you mean by Engineering Failure of a Material?
i. State Mohr’s Moment Area Theorems for slope and deflection.
j. A simply supported beam carries two equal concentrated loads W at distance 1/3 form either support Calculate the maximum bending moment.
2. A thin cylinder 500mm in diameter and length 2m has a thickness of 8mm. If it is subjected to internal pressure of 5 MPa, determine the increase in volume of cylinder. Take E=200GPa and passion’s ration as0.33.
3. A hollow pipe of 500mm outer diameter and 30mm wall thickness is full of water and is simply supported over a span of 12m. Calculate the maximum bending stress produced in the material of the pipe if the density of the pipe materialise 7200 Kg/m3 and that of water is 1000kg/m3
4. Briefly explain the Stress-Strain diagram for ductile materials and show all important points on it. How it is different form stress-Strain diagram for brittle material?
5. State the assumptions made in deriving the torsion Formula. Also Derive the Torsion formula for a solid circular shaft i.e --------=----------=-----------
6. Prove that the ratio of maximum value of shear stress and average value of shear streets in a circular section beam is 1.33.
7. Derive an expression for the bucking load for a pin end column. According to Euler’s theory. State the assumptions made. Also explain the limitation of Euler’s formula?
8. A beam with overhang at one end and carrying a uniformly distributed load over the whole length is shown in Fig. No. 1 Draw the shear force Diagram and Bending moment Diagram. Also find out the position of point of contrafexuire.
9 . A circular shaft 100mm diameter is subjected to combined bending and twisting moments, the bending moment being three times the twisting moment. If the yield point stress of the material is 400 MPa and the factor of safety 4. Calculate the allowable twisting moment according to following theorise of failure.
a. Maximum Shear stress theory
b. Shear strain energy theory
Roll No……….. Total No. of Questions: 07 B.Com. (Sem.-1 st ) FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING Subject Code: BCOP-101 Paper ID: [B1101] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No......................... ... Total No. of Questions : 07] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Click Here for Syllabus of B-Tech 1st Year . http://ptu.ac.in/userfiles/file/engg_syllab/1st_and_...
Business Organisation and Management, Question Paper of B.Com 1st Semester,Download Previous Years Question Paper 2Roll No…….. Total No. of Questions: 07 B.Com (Sem.-1 st ) BUSINESS ORGANIATION AND MANAGEMENT Subject Code: BCOP-102 (2011 &a...
Roll No……. Total No. of Questions:07 B.COM (Sem.-1 st ) BUSINESS MATHEMATICS SUBJECT CODE: BCOP-104 (2011 Batch) PAPER ID: ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No. ...................... Total No. of Questions : 13] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Master Of Technology (M-Tech) Syllabus SYLLABUS FOR MASTER OF TECHNOLOGY (M-Tech) Br...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Click Downlink for Dowload of Scheme and Syllabus of B.Com. Professional Batch 2011onwards ht...
B.Sc. IT (402) (S05) / 102 (New) (Sem. - 4th) BASIC MATHEMATICS – I, Punjab Technical University, PTU, Question paperpunjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No. ................. Total No. of Questions : 13] ...
punjabtechnicaluniversity.blogspot.in Roll No . ............ Total No. of Questions : 07) ...